Wednesday, September 13, 2017

It all starts somewhere

I went and saw a psychiatrist this morning.  I want to do more than just "quit drinking." I want to know why I drink.  For me, it's not just about breaking a habit that is important.  I think that if I can get to the root of the problem, then I can prevent future problems.

Long story short, I have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and PTSD. I already knew that the depression was there, but the ptsd was new to me.  They are sending me to a different office that deals with both mental disorders AND substance abuse.  I have an appointment with them on October 10th.  So for now, she just wrote me a prescription for my current medications so that I can refill and get through the next month.

It was a tough 3 hours with some even tougher questions, but I feel like I took a tiny step towards getting better.  So, I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude about it.

No comments: